Warren County Historical Society Presents …
The Digital Version “REWIND”
November 16, 2015
73 Years of History for
In 1890, the late Edwin DeLong rented a farm on Haviland Road and started selling raw milk in Glens Falls. At that time, milk was dispensed from a can with a dipper.
A few years later, Mr. DeLong purchased a farm at Vaughn’s Corners, and he used a team of horses to make his deliveries. He was the first farmer in the area to purchase a covered wagon for delivery, and later he bought a Model T Ford. DeLong’s Dairy was the second local distributer to use milk bottles, and the first dairy in the area to use a sealed hood on its bottles. It was the first local dairy to produce milk with added vitamin D.
The former DeLong Dairy at the corner of Glenwood Avenue and Bay Road, looking from Lowe’s parking lot.
In 1925, A. Herbert DeLong, having studied agriculture and dairy industry at Cornell University, purchased the business from his father and soon moved from Vaughn’s Corners to 40 Mason Street in Glens Falls. Business grew at a rapid rate and soon more room was needed for milk production.
Herbert incorporated the business in 1931. He built a modern brick and stone building at 235 Bay Street, which had all the latest equipment for bottling, capping, pasteurizing and preparing milk for delivery. A large stoker-type bottle washing machine gave each bottle five separate washings, five rinsings and a chlorinated rinse. Milk bottles were not handled from the time they were fed into the washer until they had been washed, filled and capped.
The former DeLong Dairy building from Glenwood Avenue.
The dairy continued growing and the building was doubled in size in 1946. In 1949, the company began the manufacturing of ice cream, which grew to be a very popular product. In 1955, a dairy bar was built on Bay Road near the entrance to Lowe’s Plaza to provide an outlet for retail distribution. DeLong’s Dairy was a winner three consecutive years of the New York State Diploma of Merit.
Milk bottles from the DeLong Dairy in the collection of the Warren County Historical Society.
The Post Star reported, on September 23, 1968:
“DeLong’s Dairy to end Retail Deliveries. Due to the economic condition of the milk industry, retail delivery of milk will discontinue on Saturday, September 28th. The Dairy Bar will remain open and customers may purchase home-made ice cream and dairy products on a cash-and-carry basis.”
Article compiled by Judy Melkonian for the Warren County Historical Society. Photos courtesy of Stan Cianfarano.
Sources include The Post Star, and the A.W. Miller Collection at the Folklife Center at Crandall Public Library.
©November 16, 2015, Warren County Historical Society.