Warren County Historical Society Presents …

The Digital Version “REWIND”

August 1, 2017

What’s In A Name?:

Naming the Streets in the Village of Lake George

 

The following information is taken from a file found in the Warren County Historian’s office dated 1962. 

SOME NOTES ON THE NAMING OF STREETS IN LAKE GEORGE

 

CANADA STREET – named for the fact that it is part of a direct route from New York City to Canada.

MONTCALM STREET – named Marquis de Montcalm, the French and Indian War General.

COOPER STREET     – named for the author, James Fenimore Cooper.

CALDWELL STREET – named after the Caldwell family, including James Caldwell who was an Albany merchant and the original patentee of a major portion of the town, as well as his son William who came to the area to live and develop it.

McGILLIS STREET – named after one of the CALDWELL heirs.

SCHUYLER STREET and SCHUYLER HEIGHTS – named after General Philip Schuyler.

HENDRICK STREET – named after the Mohawk chief, King Hendrick.

JAMES STREET – named for  James Green who laid out the street many years ago.

HUBBELL STREET – named for James N. Hubbell, one of the three commissioners in the Caldwell Heirs Estate in the naming of the new streets in the 1890s period of Lake George Village history.

WEST STREET – named for Elmer J. West, one of the three commissioners.

SMITH STREET – named for Stephen R. Smith, the third commissioner.

LAKE AVENUE – (1903) was a new street running through the Mansion House property (one of the original boarding houses in Lake George) that ran from the lake shore to Canada Street.

AMHERST STREET – named after General Jeffrey Amherst, a descendant from an ancient British family who was born in Riverhead, England in 1717.

MOHICAN STREET – named for a former an Indian encampment on the home site for the St. Sacrement Roman Catholic Church.

HELEN STREET – named for Helen Worden, property owner.

IROQUOIS STREET – named for the Native American tribe.

HUBBELL LANE – named for the road that ran from Bolton Road to Warrensburg Road through the Hubbell Homestead property in 1890.

MOUNTAIN DRIVE – a new street north of the school that ran through the Parrott Farm that was formerly the Russell Farm.

SCHUYLER HEIGHTS – All of Schuyler Heights was originally owned by Isaac Tuttle, grandfather of Charles Tuttle, who laid it out and named the streets after old families:  Hammond, Nelson, Pettis, Shaw and Norman Streets.

WORDEN STREET – named after E. J. Worden, who laid out the street.

CHERRY STREET – named by E. J. Worden.

THOMPSON HEIGHTS – was formerly owned and laid out by the following families:  Thompson, Ingraham, Higgins, Hammond, Smith and Green.

SEWELL STREET – named for James Caldwell’s daughter, June, who married Stephen Sewell, solicitor General of Lower Canada (1700s).  He died in the cholera plague in Montreal in 1832.

Parts of some streets were lost to the Northway in the early 1960s.

 

 

 

 

Warren County Historical Society // 50 Gurney Lane // Queensbury, NY 12804 // (518) 743-0734

 

Click here to email us!

 

Home :: Historical Highlights :: News :: Projects :: Programs & Special Events :: Volunteers

Research Library :: Collections & Publications :: Membership

 

Site Hosted by Mannix Marketing in Glens Falls