Warren County Historical Society Presents …
The Digital Version * * * “REWIND”
August 1, 2013
Town historians and other individuals were asked to prepare information on the various towns and municipalities for the bicentennial souvenir book. Because of space limitations, some of the material was not printed. The Warren County Historical Society has decided to share some of that information here in the Rewind column.
Glens Falls City Historian, Wayne Wright and Erica Burke from the Crandall Library Folk Life Center, submitted the following information>
Black Marble Works
The Glens Falls black marble works were located on land directly behind the Finch Paper mill main office of 1911. At the time Samuel Pruyn founded Finch Pruyn Company on June 21, 1865, it is known that black marble was being mined on the site. How long it was mined before then is not known, but the mining ended with sales by Finch, Pruyn and Company in November of 1923. The actual quarrying ended about two years before. The Glens Falls mine was the only documented black marble mine in the United States at that time and is one of the hardest marble types in existence. There are many samples of the marble in the older homes of Glens Falls since it was used for fireplace mantels.
Black Marble quarrying at Finch Pruyn.
Black marble from this site in Glens Falls was contributed to the building of the Washington Monument in Washington D.C. as New York State’s official donation. The marble is located at the 160 foot landing of the monument and is inscribed with, “New York – Excelsior”. It was received and installed in 1886. In 1936 the Glens Falls Times published an article which stated that the U.S. Park Service had no proof where the Warren County contribution was quarried. The Glens Falls Times writers went back to some of the noted historians of the day to confirm that the marble came from the Finch, Pruyn and Company quarry.
Concept sketch of the Washington Monument.
The Washington Monument is a tapering shaft or obelisk, 555 feet high and 55 feet square at the base that was begun in 1848 and finished in 1888. The first 150 feet of the monument was built of white Maryland marble, in two foot courses. The next thirteen courses are of white Massachusetts marble with the capstone weighing 3300 pounds. Imbedded in the interior walls are memorial stones contributed by each state then in the union, as well as cities and organizations, with inscriptions.
Monuments in Glens Falls
In Crandall Park
The Crandall Monument.
- Henry and Betsy Crandall burial – The tall obelisk with the lighted star on top is the final resting place of the Glens Falls philanthropist who gave the local people the land for Crandall Park and City Park. Crandall also started the first library in Glens Falls that would become the Crandall Public Library.
The Knox Trail Monument (Revolutionary War)
- Knox Trail Marker – One of a series of markers stretching from Ticonderoga, NY to Boston, MA to mark the trail General Knox and his men used to move cannons to help drive the British out of Boston.
The Victory and Peace Monument in Crandall Park.
- Victory and Peace Monument – One of the monuments dedicated to the veterans, it states on the monument, “To those who served in our nation’s wars through whose courage and sacrifice came victory and peace. This monument has become the site of Memorial Day celebrations in Queensbury and Glens Falls.
The Korean War Monument in Crandall Park.
- Korean War Monument – Marking local veterans who participated in the Korean War.
In City Park
- City Park is a memorial to Henry Crandall who gave the land for the park to the citizens of Glens Falls.
Sign Plaque Honoring Gift of City Park by Henry Crandall.
- Civil War Monument – At the intersection of Bay and Glen Streets, the monument was erected as a memorial to locals who died in the Civil War.
Civil War Monument – Monument Square Glens Falls.
- Charles Evans Hughes – By the bandstand in City Park, this bronze plaque on the boulder recognizes one of Glens Falls; most famous citizens. Hughes ran for President of the United States.
Charles Evans Hughes Plaque – City Park Glens Falls
- Spirit of Glens Falls – By the bandstand in City Park, this monument recognizes the maiden flight of “The Spirit of Glens Falls” hot air balloon, July 4, 1977 by the Adirondack Balloon Festival committee.
Adirondack Hot Air Balloon Festival – “Spirit of Glens Falls” in City Park.
- A stone bench – near the bandstand in City Park was placed in memory of Matthew Waimon and those killed by drunk drivers.
Plaque Commemorating Matthew Waimon, Killed by Drunken Driver.
- Glens Falls’ Sister City – Located on the south side of City Hall, this marker celebrates Saga City, Japan.
Saga City Monument.
- “Friendship Tree” – Planted in the park with a stone marker recognizing the Sister Cities, Glens Falls, NY and Saga City, Japan.
“Friendship Tree”: and monument – Glens Falls and Saga City.
- Each town and municipality was presented with a marker acknowledging Warren County’s Bicentennial in 2013.
2013 Warren County Bicentennial Pl;que.
- Veteran’s Memorial – on the Ridge Street side of the park is, “Dedicated to the memory of the men of the city of Glens Falls who served and gave their lives in World Ward I and II and the Korean Conflict.”
Glens Falls’ – Monument To All Veterans.
The Kingsley Brothers in the Civil War
Erica Wolfe Burke from the Crandall Library Folk Life Center prepared the following information on some local residents who fought in the Civil War. It is especially timely information with 2013 being the bicentennial of Warren County and in the middle of the sesquicentennial Civil War.
George, Harrison, and Harvey Kingsley were three of the four surviving sons of Benedict P. Kingsley. They were born in Luzerne, Warren County, NY, where their father was a farmer. All three, along with their brother Mason B. (1838-1928), spent all or part of their careers as boat builders in Glens Falls. And the first three enlisted and served together in Company E of the 22nd New York Volunteer Infantry.
In the Civil War companies were organized not by the Federal government, but by individuals who had been granted permission to do so. In Glens Falls, Company E was raised by George Clendon, Jr. George (1835-1923) and Harrison (1840-1865) enlisted in George Clendon’s company in May of 1861. They arrived at the seat of war just as the defeated Union troops retreated on Washington from the First Battle of Bull Run. They encamped on the grounds of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s mansion in Arlington, Virginia, now the location of the Arlington National Cemetery. At the end of July Harvey (1842-1933) arrived with a group of recruits to join his brothers. Harvey and Harrison were on detached service with Prof. Lowe and his observation balloon in August and September of 1861.
They fought in the Second Battle of Bull Run in August of 1862 and the Battles of South Mountain and Antietam in September. All of the brothers were wounded at Bull Run, Harvey was taken prisoner, and Harrison was wounded again at South Mountain. George and Harrison both moved up in rank, George ending as 1st Sergeant, and Harrison as 3rd Sergeant. All three mustered out with their company on June 19, 1863 at the expiration of their term of service.
George returned permanently to civilian life, as a boat builder or ships carpenter. He died in Fort Miller in 1923.
Harvey re-enlisted in August 1864, in the 175th New York Volunteer Infantry, where he served as 2nd Lieutenant. He mustered out June 30th, 1865 at Savannah, Georgia. A week earlier he had been found on the street, unconscious from sunstroke. That sunstroke was to be the basis for continuing disability and a pension starting in 1887. Notwithstanding the sunstroke, and a wound to the hip, he continued to work as a ship’s carpenter for most of his life, dying in New Jersey at the age of ninety in 1933.
Harrison returned to the war even sooner, enrolling in the 2nd New York Veteran Cavalry, on Aug. 1, 1863, along with many of his comrades from the 22nd New York. He went in as 2nd Sergeant, and was promoted to 1st in November. He was wounded and captured on December 10 in Mississippi and was a prisoner for four months. Declared exchanged on April 8, he was furloughed on April 24 and returned to Glens Falls. His furlough was extended several times due to his illness and inability to travel. He died in Glens Falls on November 28, days after the rest of his company was mustered out at Talladega, Alabama.
© August 1 2013, Warren County Historical Society
Prepared by Erica Wolfe Burke, Crandall Public Library Folklife Center
Updated 6 August 2013