Warren County Historical Society Presents …
The Digital Version * * * “REWIND”
February 16, 2014
Post Cards From Around Warren County
Since the formation of the society in 1997, we have been collecting a multitude of artifacts related to the history of Warren County. This past summer we had the help of a professional archivist to put an order to our collection and the work around that task continues. Among the many items we have added to our collection are a large variety of post cards. We thought it would be interesting to share some of those post cards in this Rewind column.
What follows are a randomly selected piece of our old post card collection. Enjoy!
The Ticonderoga unloading at Bolton Landing. This boat now is part of the collection at the Shelburne Museum in Shelburne, Vermont.
A Chester drugstore.
Main Street in Chestertown.
Fountain Square in downtown Glens Falls sometime probably in the 1950s. Today this area is the home to Centennial Circle.
Glen Street in Glens Falls looking north, probably in the late 1940s or early 1950s
Lyle’s was located on Route 9 where Monty’s Discount Wine & Liquors is today in front of Wal Mart. Note the phone number of 3 numerals.
The Rockwell Hotel in downtown Glens Falls was located where Hudson Avenue joins Centennial Circle. It burned down in February 1950. A W.T. Grant department store was built after the fire, and the area was opened up for Hudson Avenue in 1975.
Warren Street in Glens Falls looking west to the Rockwell Hotel. St. Mary’s Church is on the left.
Brant Lake was once the home to many hotels. The Palisades Hotel on Brant Lake had accommodations for 125 guests interested in hunting, fishing, and swimming and boating.
Brant Lake – A view at Horicon.
The Bridge over North Creek in the Town of Johnsburg.
The D & H Railroad Station at Lake George.
The Half Way House was known “coast to coast” and was located where Super Shoes at the north end of the outlets is today, where Routes 149 and 9 meet.
There are several post cards in our collection that indicate and “Indian Village, Lake George,” but we know very little about it. It may have been part of Magic Forest. Can anyone help us out? Please call us at 518-743-0734 with any information.
Toomey’s Pavilion on Sunnyside Road at one time was Carpenter’s Pavilion. It burned in the mid-1980s. Swimming, diving boards, a slide into the water, a game room, boating, a snack bar and two dance halls were some of the activities one could participate in at Toomey’s.
Main Street in Stony Creek.
High Rock in Warrensburg was in the south end of town. It was removed when improvements were made to Route 9.
Scenes from Ghost Town at Story Town.
Animal Land on Route 9 once featured alligator wrestling. It was located just south of Martha’s ice cream stand.
St. Mary’s Academy on Warren Street once served students in Kindergarten-12th grade. Modeled after England’s Westminster Hall, it opened in 1932. At the time it was the largest parochial school in the country with an enrollment of 1,400 students.
© February 16 2013, Warren County Historical Society
This material was pulled together by Dr. Stan Cianfarano for the Warren County Historical Society. All photos are courtesy of the historical society.