Every so often we are asked about a place or location called High Rock, so with a little digging, this is what we found.
In May of 1931 in Warrensburg, NY, an enormous rock, was blasted away by the State of New York Transportation Department. The rock, which jutted out into the road was located near Judd Bridge (also referred to as the Plank Road Bridge and Iron Bridge). The transportation department was beginning to widen Route 9. Route 9 was known as Plank Road and connected Warrensburg to Caldwell (Lake George) on the south and the Town of Chester to the north.
Ca 1920s Post Card of High Rock.
This rock was a gift to Warrensburg from the last Ice Age, approximately 10,000 years ago. Over time it was quite a tourist attraction. Legend has it, that when the Native Americans roamed the Adirondacks, this rock was a meeting place as they traveled from Canada to Lake George. Many different tribes used this rock not only as a guide in their travels and a meeting place but some of their important councils were held there.
Dr. Holden, published an article in The Warrensburg News, which mentioned travelers in the lower “borough”, as the residents of the area formerly called it, “…would discover about 40 rods away from the Iron Bridge, a huge boulder that over-topped the highway.”
In 1790-91 during the trouble between the government and the Indians along the frontier, the old Indian trail leading from the Mohawk River past the base of Crane Mountain to the Lake was open, and memory of former raids were still fresh in the minds of residents of the area who lived in the surrounding wilderness.
These early settlers quickly cleared away the forest that hid the rocks summit and erected, from the logs, a two-story blockhouse with portholes and fastenings sufficient for the purposes of protection against Indian attack. It is not recorded that this blockhouse was ever used for the intended purpose and any signs of ruins have vanished with time. At a later date a man named Albert Alden was hired to build a stone wall in front of the rock to keep it from sliding into the road.
The rock was registered in Washington, D.C. as one of the “balanced rocks” in the country and is also spoken of in James Fenimore Cooper’s tales.
Post Card image of High Rock.
Added June 3, 2014:
High Rock Circa 19-teens; Schroon River scene.
Article prepared by Judy Melkonian for the Warren County Historical Society.
Sources: Warrensburg New York 200 years People Places and Events; Rewind Oct 2007: Reflections and Recollections, Warrensburg, New York; and thanks to Ann McCann, Warren County Historian.
© May 15 2014, Warren County Historical Society
Webmaster Note: If anyone has photos or postcard images of this High Rock, please forward to the Society: WCHS57NY@gmail.com … Please include a caption if appropriate as well as permission to publish your image; permission is for Warren County Historical Society to publish the image in any format for educational and/or historical purposes. Submissions will be acknowledged. Thank you.