Warren County Historical Society Presents …

The Digital Version “REWIND”

December 1, 2017

 

A Timeline of Local History

 

Dennis F. O’Connell, an editor and writer for The Post Star wrote a weekly column for the paper called ”Listening In” which focused in on local history and current events.  The following material was extracted from an article by Mr. O’Connell that appeared in the newspaper on November 13, 1931 and provides an interesting local time line of important events – taking us up to the time Glens Falls officially became a city.

The Timeline

 

1755          The Military Road is built between Fort Edward and Lake George and the construction of Fort William Henry is begun so the British have a staging point to take on the French army located at Crown Point.

 

 

1757           Fort William Henry is captured by the French and the famous ‘massacre’ of British by the Indians follows.

 

1754-1763          French & Indian War.  During the French and Indian War, ground cleared in the area for 3 forts:  at Halfway Brook – near the present-day Price Chopper on Upper Glen Street; near where the Halfway House restaurant stood at French Mountain – in the vicinity of the present day Factory Outlets on Route 9; and at a point near the Boulevard – one of the roads that connects Glens Falls and Hudson Falls.

 

After 1759           Governor DeLancey proclaimed it safe to settle between Albany and Crown Point:  12 families settled at Halfway Brook and 6 at each of the other clearings.

 

May 20, 1762     The Patent of Queensbury – named in honor of the bride of George III – was granted to 23 persons, all but two of whom were living in New Fairfield, CT.

 

By the end of July, 1762      The property was held by 31 people, mostly from Dutchess County, New York.  The new property owners included Abraham Wing.  (The 31 owners are named below).

 

Summer 1762    Abraham Wing and Zacchesus Towner came to the area for the first time to survey it and divide it into sections.

 

1763           Abraham Wing and Ichabod Merritt attempted to make a permanent settlement here.  Wing came in possession of two sections upon which the principal part of Glens Falls would be built.  For building two mills, he was also granted 10 acres on the north shore of the Hudson River at the falls.

 

June 18, 1763     The 31 proprietors of the Queensbury Township were John Dobson, Nehemiah Merritt, Abraham Wing, Daniel Merritt, John Lawrence, Henry Haydock, William Smith, Benjamin Ferriss, John Burling, John Akin, Thomas Dobson, Reed Ferriss, George Bowne, Ichabod Merritt, Elihu Marsh, Jr., Joan Farrington, Haydock Bowne, Nathaniel Hazard, John Rapelje, Samuel Bowne, Benjamin Seeley, John Carmen, Jacob Haviland, Samuel Hungerford, Joseph Pursell, John Haydock, Edward Burling, Elihu Marsh, William Haviland, Nathaniel Stevenson, and Isaac Mann.   Of the entire number of proprietors, no more than six ever became actual residents here.

 

          The Wings brought 8 of their 10 children, 6 girls and 2 boys.  The original Wing log cabin in the area was erected near where the railroad overpass crosses lower Warren Street by the cement company.  A second Wing cabin was erected behind what was the Glens Falls Home for Aged Women, in the area of the Hyde Museum.  It was in this cabin that Joseph Merritt was born, the first white child to be born in the community.  A third cabin built by the Wing family was about where the Commodore Restaurant stood on Warren Street, and a fourth was at ‘the brow of the hill’ in the area of Glen Street.

 

May 6, 1766       The seven male residents held the first town meeting where they elected themselves to fill 11 spots:  Abraham Wing was elected moderator, supervisor,  and an overseer of the poor; Asaph Putnam, town clerk and constable; Jeffrey Cowper/Cooper, assessor; Ichabod Merritt, assessor and collector; Benajah Putnam, pathmaster; Truelove Butler, poundkeeper; Caleb Powell, overseer of the poor.

 

1774-1776          During the Revolutionary War, the community suffered greatly.  Both sides ‘suffered from the ruthlessness that characterizes the progress of armies.’  Their property was seized by both sides for which they never received any compensation.  Personal property was stolen and carried away.  Although they were undoubtedly patriots, the community did not participate in the war because of their religious faith.  At times, many of the inhabitants of the community moved back and forth during the war years, seeking safer living space in Dutchess County.

 

1780           Though the war was over, the inhabitants suffered total loss when Carleton and his band of Tories and Indians raided the town, burning every building.  For the next year-and-a-half, the area remained deserted after Carleton’s raid.

 

1783          Peace was restored and the people began to return to Queensbury.  George Washington visited the area and stopped at Halfway Brook on his way to Lake George.

 

1785           Eighteen families called Queensbury home.  There were no mills, forcing residents to go to Jessup’s Falls (Luzerne) or Fort Miller to have their wheat ground.

 

May 1786  At a town meeting, 36 votes were cast and only the men voted.  Those voting included Abraham Wing, William Tripp, David Seelye, David Bennett, Thomas Tripp, Elisha Folger, Benedick Brown, Justice Brown, Valentine Brown, Ebenezar Buck, Howgal Brown, Jerimiah Briggs, Silas Brown, James Tripp, Jonathan Tripp, James Stevenson, Josi Varney, Hosea Howard, James Butler, Richard Bennett, William Guy, Walter Briggs, John Martin, David Bennett, Edward Fuller, Nathan Odie, Nathaniel Varney,  Jonathan Hubbell, Stephen Lapham, Jonathan Pitcher, Henry Martin, Benjamin Wing, Phineas Babock, James Higson, Stephen Howard, and Miles Washburn.

 

1839           Glens Falls was incorporated as the Village of Glens Falls

 

1908           Glens Falls became a city

 

 

 

 

Material for this column came from an article in the Glens Falls Times by D. F. O’Connell, dated November 12, 1931.  It was prepared by Warren County Historian Stan Cianfarano for the Warren County Historical Society.  In 2009, Glens Falls Historian Wayne Wright compiled a book of Mr. O’Connell’s column called “Listening In”:  Memories of Glens Falls, 1755-1931.  The book is available from Mr. Wright at City Hall and at the Warren County Historical Society office at 50 Gurney Lane, Queensbury, NY.

 

Warren County Historical Society // 50 Gurney Lane // Queensbury, NY 12804 // (518) 743-0734

 

Click here to email us!

 

Home :: Historical Highlights :: News :: Projects :: Programs & Special Events :: Volunteers

Research Library :: Collections & Publications :: Membership

 

Site Hosted by Mannix Marketing in Glens Falls